Hazelnut Moelleux, Hazelnut Crumble, Hazelnut Croquant, Mandarin Crémeux, Duo Chocolate Mousse
Photograph by Brishen Lee-Combs
(3) 16cm cakes | Difficulty 4 | Preparation Time 2–3 hours
- Hazelnut Moelleux
- Hazelnut Crumble
- Hazelnut Croquant
- Mandarin Crémeux
- Duo Chocolate Mousse
- Unsalted butter 220g
- Hazelnut puree 20g
- Powdered sugar 170g
- Egg yolk 40g
- Toasted hazelnut powder 380g
- All purpose flour 90g
- Egg white 340g
- Dark brown sugar 160g
- Sea salt 2g
- Cream the butter, hazelnut puree and powdered sugar together and then incorporate the egg yolk into the mix.
- Make a meringue with the egg white, sea salt and brown sugar.
- Sift the flour and hazelnut flour together and fold into the mixture.
- Fold the meringue into the butter mix.
- Bake in a 40cm x 60 cm frame at 190’c.
- Cool and cut with a 14cm ring.
- Dark brown sugar 90g
- Flour 90g
- Almond powder 45g
- Hazelnut powder 45g
- Sea salt 1g
- Mandarin zest 2g
- Lemon zest 1g
- Unsalted butter 90g
- Mix all ingredients except for butter together.
- Blend the butter into the flour mixture until large pieces form.
- Bake at 155’c.
- Baked hazelnut crumble 200g
- Milk chocolate gianduja 100g
- Hazelnut puree 14g
- Mix the baked hazelnut crumble with the gianduja and hazelnut puree and place 100g grams into a 14cm ring
- Mandarin puree concentrate 175g
- Yuzu juice 14g
- Cream 36% 175g
- Mandarin zest 8g
- Egg yolk 85g
- Sugar 105g
- Gelatin 5g
- Warm cream with mandarin zest and infuse for 10 minutes.
- Make a crème anglaise with the infused cream, mandarin concentrate, yuzu juice, egg yolk and sugar.
- Soak the gelatin in cold water and then add to the crème anglaise.
- Strain the mixture and then place 175g into a 14 cm ring and freeze.
Duo Chocolate Mousse
- Egg yolk 160g
- Whole milk 35g
- Cream 36% 55g
- Sugar 75g
- Dark chocolate 64% 165g
- Milk chocolate 33% 110g
- Whipped cream 36% 490g
- Warm egg yolk, milk, cream and sugar on a baine marie until thick and frothy.
- Whip egg yolk mixture and cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate and milk chocolate together on a baine marie to 50’c.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Fold a quarter of the whipped cream to the melted chocolate.
- Fold the pate a bombe into the chocolate.
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- Fill a 16cm ring half full of duo chocolate mousse.
- Place a disk of hazelnut moelleux and mandarin crémeux into the mousse.
- Place more duo chocolate mousse on top of the mandarin cremeux.
- Place another disk of hazelnut moelleux onto the chocolate.
- Spread a thin layer of duo chocolate mousse across the hazelnut moelleux and then place the hazelnut croquant on top.