Signature Strawberry Charlotte
Almond Biscuit, Décor Panna Cotta, Strawberry Coulis, Vanilla Mousse
Photograph by Brishen Lee-Combs
(3) 16cm cakes | Difficulty 4 | Preparation Time 2–3 hours
- Almond Biscuit
- Décor Panna Cotta
- Strawberry Coulis
- Vanilla Mousse
- Powdered sugar 260g
- Egg yolk 180g
- Eggs 290g
- Egg white 600g
- Sugar 300g
- Flour 270g
- Almond flour 340g
- Whip the powdered sugar and egg yolk until it is thick and airy.
- Make a soft meringue with the sugar and egg white.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Sift together the flour and almond flour and fold into the egg mixture.
- Divide biscuit between two sheets and bake at 190’c.
- Reserve one sheet for the strawberry coulis and cut 14cm disks out of the other.
Décor Panna Cotta
- Cream 36% 200g
- Invert sugar 15g
- Gelatin 1.5g
- Soak gelatin in cold water.
- Warm half of cream and add invert sugar and soaked gelatin.
- Mix the two creams together.
- Pipe a design with the panna cotta on a silicon sheet and freeze.
- Strawberry puree 1200g
- Invert sugar 30g
- Glucose 50g
- Sugar 65g
- Gelatin 24g
- Warm half of the strawberry puree with the glucose and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Soak the gelatin and then add it and the invert sugar to the warm strawberry puree.
- Mix the warmed strawberry puree with the remaining strawberry puree.
- Pour over the décor panna cotta and place one of the almond biscuit on top.
- Freeze and cut into strips to line the inside of 16cm cake ring.
- Whole milk 295g
- Vanilla bean 1 piece
- Sugar 50g
- Egg yolk 85g
- Sugar 50g
- Gelatin 13g
- Whipped cream 36% 575g
- Make a crème anglaise with the milk vanilla ben, sugar and egg yolk.
- Add the soaked gelatin to the anglaise and let cool to 26’c.
- Fold the whipped cream into the anglaise.
- Line 16cm ring with the bands of almond biscuit and strawberry coulis.
- Place a 14cm round of almond biscuit on the bottom of the ring.
- Fill the inside of the ring with the mousse.
- Freeze and then unmold the cake.
- Spray the border of the cake with a neutral glaze.
- Decorate the top of the cake with strawberries.